V.C.P.Kittu, the son of V.C. Palaniswamy Gounder (Minister) was born in 1918 and he had passed wireless engineering in 1938. He studied a textile course in Bombay and joined the freedom struggle in the same year – 1942. V.C.P.Kittu had toured many parts of the country. He was the leader of the deputation for supply of power to agriculture with success. He worked for the formation of a strong union for agriculturists pump set users in the undivided Coimbatore District. V.C.P.Kittu was also a Honourary Bench Magistrate. He was associated with United Engineering Company, Gnanambikai Mills Limited, Tudiyalur Rural Co operative Urban Bank among many others. The social leader was also the Secretary of Vellakinar Vivasaya Minsara Sangam and Coimbatore Taluk Agriculturist Association.
V.K.Nataraja Gounder of the Vellakinar family was born in 1919 (Centenary Year). He was a Partner of V.C.K and Brothers and the firm was the Managing Agent for Gnanambikai Mills. V.K.Nataraja Gounder owned vast tracts of land and property. He lived in a huge bungalow ‘Shanthi Nilayam’, Race Course. His hobbies were Astrology, Tennis, Hunting and Billiards. His phone number was 333.
M.S.Nataraja Gounder was an agriculturist and was born in 1906. He was the Hereditary Village Munsif of Thondamuthur. M.S.Nataraja Gounder was a trustee of the Perur Patteeswarar Temple, Member – Taluk Board, District Board and was a Director in Thondamuthur Trading Company. He lived in ‘Shenbaga Vilas’, Mathampatty Post. M.S.Nataraja Gounder owned huge tracts of land in the region.
A.V.Giri – The well known businessman was Resident Director N.I.A Transport Section, Coimbatore. He was also associated with The Gounder & Co, Sri Sakthi Textlies, Indo Swiss Synthetic Gem Manufacturing Company as a Director. A.V.Giri had undergone training at Diamler Benz, Stuttgart in Germany for three months. He was popularly known as Giri Gounder those days.
R.N.Kalyanasundara Gounder (Born in 1888). This well known ‘Chithrakavi’ authored several books. The title ‘Kavichoodamani’ was conferred on him by Swami Saraswathi. This Vice President of the Vellalla Valibar sangam was honoured with a ‘Ponnadai’ by Kundrakudi Adigalar. He went on a pilgrimage on cycle for nearly two and half months and covered over 2500 miles those days.
C.A.Ramaswamy Gounder was born in 1908. He was the President of Multipurpose Coopertive Society, Chettipalayam and Local Co operative Union, Coimbatore Marketing Society and was also the Vice President of the Panchayat Board – Chettipalayam P.O.
The readers would have noticed the name of the entity ‘Thondamuthur Trading Company’ featuring more than once in this write up.
The offices for the company was located in Krishnaswamy Mudaliar Road (Brooke Fields Road). The company had many directors and used to ply buses. They had buses in the mofussil and the rural areas as well.
Velliangadu, Karamadai, Thadagam, Narasapuram, Nilambur, Muthugoundenpudur, Sulur, Singanallur etc., were part of the bus routes operated by this company.
Informed sources state that a Rice Mill was also part of the entity. The company was known TTC Limited.
A number of individuals have been listed here and they are chronicled in a short style. This was the state of the region during the first six decades of the twentieth century.
Developments took place thereafter. However this story stops at around 1957 in order to capture the essence of the times.
Everyone will agree that this was a period of transition.